Friday 15 October 2010

The true expression

The written word. One of the greatest achievement of humanity, but which can sometimes carry so little value. We are seeing more and more that heart moving speeches are so simple to write (any decent politician can write a lovely tear jerker), but they fail to put belief behind the words they sing so freely.

I ask you, in a world where language is changing, where everything is changing are we allowing so little emphasis to come on points of view? Are we failing to see that the more we talk the less we actually say? Soon it will take us minutes to relay how we feel, or maybe emotions will be a thing of the past, where we actually can't explain how we feel. I hope not, but we live in an ever changing world, and if we ever tried to stop it changing we would become the enemy and misunderstood. Life goes on always but i do, in the back of my mind, fear an age of Newspeak coming upon us. Don't take this the wrong way I'm definitely not a prescriptivist, but i do believe that language should try to hold on to the value of emotional representation. Otherwise our society may one day die out from the lack of "something the scholars used to call 'love'".

So let us spread love while we may. The hardest thing for me to write is "tell someone you love them" and i don't really know why. It seems that deep down i feel embarrassed saying it, and personally i feel as if it's something I have to say on my own, without any help of any form. Something which is gone after a moment, but takes an eternity to build up to. So here's a challenge for me too. Tell your loved ones how you feel. And I'll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment